5 Mysterious Cruise Ship Disappearances

Cruise ship disappearances 1. james christopher scavone In the early morning hours of July 5, 1999,
in international waters between Miami, Florida and San Juan, Puerto Rico, 22-year-old James
Scavone vanished from Carnival Cruise Lines Destiny ship. James was on the cruise ship with his best
friend, Jeff, and 12 members of Jeffs family for a seven-day trip to the Caribbean. At around midnight, James and his friends
had been at the ships disco enjoying a few drinks. At about 12.30am, James told the boys he was
going to the men’s room. James was never seen again. When his friends returned to the cabin at
3:00 a.m., they assumed James had met someone and would return in the morning. By 10:00 a.m., James still had not returned
so the friends went to the ships authorities to have him paged. James never answered. By 10:00 p.m. and after a thorough cabin-to-cabin
search by crew members, James was still missing. A few weeks later, James mother asked for
the itemized bill from James sail card. Her son had not gone anywhere or purchased
anything after he left the disco, and he never reentered his cabin. In 2006, after viewing James case on the television
show, Primetime, a woman recognized James as the person who went missing from the Destiny
cruise ship that she was also on July 5, 1999. The woman told James family that on the morning
of July 5, 1999, her cabin phone rang and she heard a young man on the other end say,
“Help me, I can’t get out of here. Then she heard a scream, what sounded like
furniture being thrown around the room, and some scuffling. The phone went dead thereafter. The woman was interviewed by the ship authorities
and the FBI. She said that later in the week she asked
about James, and the ship told her that he had been engaged prior the trip, his fiancee
had broken up with him, so he probably committed suicide. According to the woman, this is a complete
lie. She contacted Carnival Cruise’s corporate
offices after the trip, in the hopes of being able to contact James family. Carnival Cruise told her they had no record
of anyone disappearing from the “Destiny” on July 5, 1999. James remains missing to this day and foul
play is not suspected in his disappearance. There have been no recent updates on his case. 2.Merrian carver
Merrian Lynn Carver, 40, from Cambridge, Massachusetts, was a former investment banker who loved to
write poetry. She was sailing aboard Celebrity Cruises’
Mercury when she disappeared on August 28, 2004. She had a 13-year-old daughter who was staying
with her ex-husband in England. She took CDs of her poems with her, but no
computer, they were left in her handbag, in her room. She didn’t tell the 13 year old non-custodial
daughter she spoke with on the phone daily, that she was taking a cruise, nor did she
tell her parents. Her parents found out she was missing when
they were called by their grand-daughter, after her calls to her mother had gone unanswered. Her parents tried to reach her for several
days without success, and then filed a missing persons report. A police investigation five weeks later determined
she had taken a cruise, and then went missing. She purchased round trip air fare with her
cruise, which is frequently cheaper than one way which suggests that she wasn’t planning
on commiting suicide. On night two of the cruise, she was suddenly
missing. She never slept in the bed from night two
on. Her cabin steward, Domingo Monteiro reported
her not using her cabin, numerous times, and was told to shut up and mind his business
when he reported her missing to his superior, and he was told to keep putting fresh chocolates
on her pillow. The report was never taken any higher in the
chain of command. Her belongings had remained in her cabin when
everybody else got off the ship. Her cabin steward told his superior this. He asked his boss, should we report this? The boss says, ” No. I’ll take care of it. Just put all of her belongings in a bag. Put them in my locker and I’ll take care of
it.'” Her handbag had her wallet with her name,
Social Security number and everything. They just put it in storage, did nothing. No missing persons report was filed with the
police by the cruise line, nor did they attempt to reunite the handbag with money and identification
with the owner. At some point during the five weeks, the cruise
ship decided to give away her belongings that had been in storage, to charity. After the Carvers started complaining, Royal
Caribbean had held an internal hearing and fired Monteiro’s boss. But for the three months that the Carvers
had been asking questions, the cruise line had never shared that information with them. After her father, Kendall Carver began his
own investigation, hiring one of the word’s largest private-detective agencies and was
being serviced by Tim Schmolder private detective from San Francisco, who was on the case, Domingo’s
superior was terminated, memos went out to 14 other employees onboard, wanting to know
if Domingo had talked to anyone about this event. Kendall Carver said that Royal Caribbean’s
own documents offer evidence of cover-up. One memo shows that months earlier, company
officials knew Monteiro had reported suspicious circumstances to his supervisor. The carver’s demanded Royal Caribbean produce
a list of other passengers from the Boston area, where their daughter had lived, in case
there was a friend or someone who might know about Merrian. Kendall Carver said that the subpoenas produced
a list of the ship’s 2,000 passengers, with no contact information. Merrian ordered two sandwiches through room
service on night two, and was never seen after that. On night two she (or somebody) left the entire
trip tip for the room steward, $108, instead of leaving the tip on the last day of the
cruise as is common, on a table with his name card on top of it. She never used the return portion of the airline
ticket. Her father has spent more than $75,000 to
date to get answers to the question, “what happened to my daughter?” He has also founded the International Cruise
Victim not-for-profit organization. Royal Caribbean’s lawyer Jeffrey Maltzman
denied any kind of cover up and later said in a press release that she appeared to have
committed suicide on the ship. Her family denies she committed suicide and
believes their handling of the cases will prevent them from ever knowing what happened. 3.Tammy grogan
In 2006, Tammy Grogan was onboard Carnival Cruise Lines’ Imagination when she vanished
somewhere between Mexico and Miami, into the waters of the Gulf. Traveling with her were her mother Bonnie,
her 14-year-old son Jimmy, and an aunt Deb. The trip’s final stop before heading home
was in Mexico, and family reported seeing Tammy on the ship after that time, at about
1:30 a.m. The next day, Tammy was nowhere to be seen. At first, her family thought she was entertaining
herself somewhere, but when the ship finally docked in Florida and she still hadn’t appeared,
they became concerned. By the time they told the ship of her disappearance,
a full 32 hours had passed. The information desk put out a page, but no
one responded. Sadly, the Imagination had traveled more than
400 miles since Tammy was last seen. That meant it was too late to send out a search
party. Instead, the Coast Guard contacted the Mexican
authorities who sent a message to vessels in the area. But Tammy was never found. Reports in the days after her disappearance
stated foul play was not suspected. But here’s where it gets weird. About 18 months later, Bonnie gave an interview
to local news claiming that the trip had been an elaborate ruse to dispose of Tammy. She accused Craig Morgan, the man who had
purchased the cruise tickets for the family, of planning her death so that he might have
unfettered access to Jimmy, the 14-year-old son. Morgan had reportedly showered the boy with
gifts and attention, taking him on limo rides and lavishing him with jewelry – including
no less than 23 watches. However, these lavish displays of affection
were unsettling for Tammy. Tammy reportedly became uncomfortable enough
with this that she eventually told her son he could no longer spend time with Morgan. Shortly thereafter, Morgan purchased the cruise
tickets for Aunt Deb (who had once been his baby-sitter) as a reward for losing 100 pounds,
and told her to invite Bonnie, Tammy, and Jimmy along. Once onboard the Imagination, Bonnie and Tammy
realized that Morgan’s sister and her ex-boyfriend were also on the ship, and indeed were rooming
right near them. On the night Tammy disappeared, Bonnie claims
that, she had been in Tammy’s cabin. She claims she did not drink any alcohol,
but when she drank a glass of water given to her by Jimmy, she blacked out. Bonnie alleges that she was secretly given
Rohypnol, a powerful sedative said to be ten times stronger than valium. In 2010, WTOL News reported that forensic
experts did find evidence of Rohypnol in Bonnie’s drink, but that claim has not been corroborated
by other outlets. A more widely reported claim is that Morgan
did some research on Rohypnol, evidenced by a handwritten note found by investigators. Morgan’s reasoning was that his sister Rebecca
was having problems sleeping and he was trying to help her. Finally, when the family returned home four
days later, without Tammy, they found that her apartment had been broken into and her
computer hard drive and jewelry Morgan had given her was missing. Meanwhile, jimmy himself went missing in 2009. After living with his paternal grandfather
for more than two years, he graduated from high school and fulfilled his life-long dream
of enlisting in the military. But on September 29, he went AWOL from Fort
Benning in Georgia and never finished his basic training. He is no longer in touch with Bonnie, or the
grandfather. Bonnie believes he was involved. 4.george smith
In 2005, George Smith and Jennifer Hagel were enjoying a wedding cruise in the Mediterranean. But on July 5 something went terribly wrong. George smith mysteriously disappeared never
to be seen again. According to some of the 2,300 passengers
onboard the Royal Caribbean Brilliance of the Seas, the honeymooning Smiths were heavy
partiers who had drank and gambled well into the night and early morning on the day Smith
disappeared. A police officer and his wife were in the
cabin next door to the Smith’s and reported that noisy parties were the rule in the Smith’s
cabin, usually into the wee hours of the morning. The officer was awakened at about 4:00 a.m.
on July 5 by loud noises from the cabin next door; another party in the Smith’s room. This time, though, the officer and his wife
heard yelling and arguing, the sound of heavy items being moved around the cabin next door,
and then more noise from the balcony area next door to them. All of this was followed by a final loud noise,
with other passengers reporting a scream, and then, for the first time in 30 minutes,
nothing but silence from the Smith’s cabin. The daylight of July 5 found George Smith
missing from his cabin with blood on the cabin floor, the bed, on the rail on the balcony,
and a bloody handprint on the lifeboat just below the balcony of Smith’s room. Smith was nowhere to be found, and a missing
person’s investigation took place. Jennifer was under suspicion for the disappearance
of her husband, though she claimed to have no memory of the night before. She was found at 4:30 in the morning passed
out in the hallway, a blackout that could explain her memory loss. George’s parents brought in Ivey Barnum
& O’Mara, LLC’s Michael Jones to help them investigate the case and to see if he
could provide more answers. He immediately got to work perusing the ship
documents and interviewing the 4 men last seen with George. Two of them plead the 5th, one had a foggy
memory of the events, and the last was serving prison time in Florida for trafficking. The man in prison, Greg Rozenberg, was the
most forthcoming out of any of the suspects. All of the men claimed to have ordered room
service at the time of George’s disappearance, but the timeline of the events is still suspicious. They were the ones who supposedly put him
to bed before going back to one of their rooms and ordering room service. However, the ship made no record of a large
room service order by the 4 suspects. 48 Hours reported later that Michael Jones,
said a video involving three of the four men, could be key in cracking the case. “They pass a video camera around filming themselves
commenting about George’s death in a very callous way,” Jones told 48 Hours. “But the really incriminating statement is
one of them stands up at the end of the tape and sort of hunches his shoulders and flashes
gang signs and says, ‘Told ya I was gangsta’ and in the context of the discussion about
George’s death, almost as if he’s bragging about having done something to George.” None of the men in the video have been charged
and all say they had nothing to do with George Smith’s death. This video was in the possession of the cruise
line by the end of the cruise and, later, in the possession of the FBI which did not
disclose it to any of the family members. It eventually became known to the Smith family
only around 7 years after the incident. In 2015 FbI closed its investigation coming
to the conclusion that there was insufficient evidence of murder. george’s parents still have no idea what happened
to their son. 5.Annette Mizener
Annette Mizener, 37, from Waukesha, Wisconsin, was traveling with her parents Wally and Heidi
Knerler and teenage daughter Danielle aboard Carnival Cruise Lines’ Carnival Pride. She was in cabin #6169. She was part of a group of 200 passengers
from the Las Vegas Hilton. On the last night of a West Coast cruise from
Los Angeles, while off the coast of Mexico, Annette had left to go play bingo. She had won at bingo twice already on the
cruise, and was supposed to meet her parents for the 10pm bingo. In fact, she said she wanted to arrive early
to get a good seat. When she didn’t show up, her parents became
concerned and her father began to look for her. He searched for her in the casino. A witness said she was in the casino at 9:30pm. As he continued to search he heard her name
paged, and became very worried. The crew had found her handbag on deck, and
had paged her to give it back. That page was around 10:10pm Her small black,
beaded evening bag along with an overturned drink glass, and scattered papers was found
alongside a railing on a lower deck of the cruise ship. A security camera was tampered with, actually
covered with paper near that location. Yet, no cruise ship crew or security noticed
the covered camera, or the image not on the monitor in security. Beads from her purse were found on deck, appearing
to have been ripped from the purse in a struggle. That was the single most important clue to
her parents, that a struggle had taken place. Spots of blood were found on the deck near
the purse. Her daughter states there was a man harassing
her mother aboard ship. Security had been notified of this many times,
and refused to assist. The cruise lines says the ship’s crew launched
a room-by-room search of the Pride after Mizener’s daughter Danielle and other passengers noticed
she was missing. That search took three hours and during that
time, the ship continued on their course. Then, they called the U.S. Coast Guard which
told the ship to turn around and search the waters. The ship was turned around around 2:00am. The U.S. Coast Guard joined in the search
with aircraft and a Navy ship, and searched the waters for 16 hours, searching 833 square
miles, before the search was called off. At the time of her disappearance, Mizener
and her husband had recently adopted two other children, and had launched a new business
together selling dietary supplements. The business was a dream come true, and she
was very excited about it and having the adopted children. She also had a pending case as plaintiff for
child support for children of a past marriage, indicating she had plans to continue her life. Peter Knerler, Annette’s brother said she
was in good spirits, and there is no way she committed suicide. Early on John Mizener claimed the FBI suspected
foul play. Inconsistency’s in a crew responses to questioning
of the disappearance, John Mizener, her husband, complained of communication failure between
Carnival and the FBI. The agency told the family several months
after she vanished, that there’s evidence in a crime lab preventing the probe’s completion. There was one unidentified suspect who was
the first person that found annette’s purse and coincidentally at the very same time 2
guards arrived and collected the handbag. He is known to have made atleast 6 trips back
and forth to the scene of the crime. But he was eventually ruled out as a suspect
after fingerprint and DNA test results turned out negative. Finally a judge declared Mizener offi cially
dead, but the family – who rule out suicide and suspect foul play – still have no answers.

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *